In the evening a fire broke out in an operation theatre in the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) hospital in Delhi on Sunday. 21 fire units were sent to the spot and the fire has been brought under control. A short circuit could have led to the fire, hospital sources said earlier.
Around 5:45 pm smoke was noticed in one of the stores adjacent to the Operation Theatre area on the ground floor of the JPNA Trauma Centre of AIIMS, New Delhi. The staff and Doctors of the JPNATC showed alertness and took quick action to try and douse the fire while alerting the fire safety team of AIIMS and the Fire Brigade who responded immediately to the call. As an abundant measure of precaution, the Doctors and staff shifted the patients from the vicinity of the affected area to a safe zone. The situation was brought under control and the fire was doused by the joint efforts of the fire brigade, the fire safety team and the staff of AIIMS.
The Director, AIIMS along with Chief, JPNATC and the entire team of AIIMS were on the spot and monitored the situation. The fire safety measures had automatically kicked into action. No patients or their attendants were in any way harmed or injured due to the fire incident. There has been no injury to the staff as well. The extent of damage is not yet known and will be assessed later.
The AIIMS administration has instituted an inquiry into the matter to identify the cause of the fire and to suggest further measures for improvement.
“A medium category fire broke out at basement of AIIMS Trauma Centre, Delhi. The fire is completely under control now. There are no casualties. The upper floor was vacated due to smoke,” Chief Fire Officer Atul Garg was quoted as saying by news agency ANI.