In Maharaja Yeshwantrao hospital of Indore an eight-year-old boy died and a toddler is in a critical condition after they were mistakenly administered nitrous oxide, in place of oxygen as said by Police officials on Sunday.
Nitrous oxide is a widely used anaesthetic and analgesic agent.
The operation theatre has been sealed and an FIR registered, the officer added., Ayush, and Rajveer, 18 months old, underwent surgery on Friday and Saturday, respectively.
Sumit Shukla, a surgeon at the hospital, told reporters that there were two separate colour-coded pipes in the operation theatre. A horrible mix-up seemed to have taken place, with the pipe meant to supply oxygen yielding the wrong gas, he added. Contractor Rajendra Chaudhary, who installed the gas pipes in the paediatric operation theatre, has been arrested. He said he had been made a scapegoat. I